Wednesday, January 4, 2012

Happy New Year! What is your New Year's Resolution?

Happy New Year, everyone!

Once again its the time of year where everyone makes those new year's resolutions to lose weight or get in shape. People join gyms, buy the latest weight loss product they see on TV or in the store, pick up the latest diet book and off they go.

Unfortunately, most people will never succeed at their resolutions or will not be able to maintain those resolutions. Why? Well, people make a resolution for what they want, but not on how they are going to get there. They have no plan or actual goals. The resolutions made are too broad. For instance if you made a resolution to lose weight, and decide that you are going to go to the gym everyday, yet you've never worked out before or its been a long time since you've worked out regularly, it will be tough and 9 out of 10 times you will drop out after the 1st week. Trust me as a trainer I've seen it happen. You may have opted to go on a diet to lose weight, however with the numerous types of diets out there and most of them just starvation and deprivation methods that can not possibly be followed long term, frustration sets in and boom your done. You eventually gain back what little you lost, and then some.

Making a more specific plan to reach your resolution will allow you a better chance of actually achieving your resolution. For instance, make the resolution to exercise 3 time a week for 30 minutes; or to take an exercise class two times a week; or to eliminate or cut back on sugary drinks. These types of resolutions are much easier to maintain and easier to succeed at. Once you've made them, write them down. Keep track of what you have done. Get yourself a planner or notebook, once you've put something in writing you are more committed to it. And tracking your results is actually fun.

For example:
I resolve to lose 15 lbs by March 1st, 2012. I will do this by:
1. Exercising 3 days a week for a minimum of 30 minutes a day. This will include aerobic and metabolic workouts.

2. I will meet with a trainer once a week for help with my strength training and metabolic routine. Studies have shown that people who work with a trainer or coach are 60% more likely to have success. Why? They work harder than when they are working out by themselves, up to 30% harder. As a trainer, I've had more clients tell me I work harder with you than when I workout by myself.

3. After 4 weeks I will increase my workouts from 3 to 5 times a week from 30 minutes to 45 minutes.

4. I will cut 500 calories from my diet, by eliminating or avoiding sugary drinks, snacks, etc. I will monitor my calorie intake with an online website, like CalorieCount.


Resolutions can be fun and successful, if you allow them to be. Resolve to make small changes rather than broad actions, you and your body will thank you later.

Yours in good health,
Jane




No comments:

Post a Comment